Just Go Man: Hiking and Wild Camping in a Foreign Land During the Worldwide “Pandemic” (Ch. 5)

Just Go Man: Hiking and Wild Camping in a Foreign Land During the Worldwide "Pandemic"
Just Go Man: Hiking and Wild Camping in a Foreign Land During the Worldwide “Pandemic”

After spending an extra day and night at one of the beaches where I had met the Germans, I eventually packed up everything and left in a southerly direction.

While my goal for wild camping had been going undetected, one night I heard someone walk near my tent in the wooded area and exclaim “What the fuck?!”. They had apparently not been too bothered, because nothing came of it.

During daylight, however, someone had seen me sitting in my tent from a distance on the road walking by, and they tried to make sure that I knew it. I overheard a guy talking ominously: “Oh, I heard you could get a fine of 300 Euros for that”. All I could think was “Ok dude, how about you get a life”.

After looking at my map, it turned out I had picked a wooded area but it was close enough between two parallel roads that I was not quite as far away from residences as I’d have liked to be. In addition to that, the mice or rats in the area were very displeased with my presence, chirping and barking near my tent with extreme fervor all the night long.

I had learned from visiting a National Park in North Dakota once that prairie dogs, which are very similar to mice, rats, and squirrels, would put themselves in danger to alert the entire community to the presence of a potential threat, even if it mean exposing themselves.

Ok, so I’d have to be a little more careful. No problem, it was still my first week and I wasn’t quite an expert yet.

I had to walk up a long hill that never seemed to want to level off to flat terrain, but after a few kilometers in the hot sun, I was on the other side and getting ready to descend into a town called Bakar. It was a small village at the mouth of a bay with not a whole lot going on. It had a tiny market and a bakery with maybe one or two small restaurants, but that was about it.

I got to the bottom of the hill, down another winding road that seemed to take forever and I walked past a park where there was a young guy in his teens playing basketball by himself. I set my bags down and asked if I could join in. We took turns taking shots and doing moves and I eventually thanked him and left. Then it was off to the market hopefully to buy some food, and I was very hungry.

I walked into the tiny market and noticed not everyone was wearing a mask, which by this time had pretty much become the standard practice all around Europe if you wanted to buy groceries- you must wear the New World Order muzzle of submission if you planned to eat.

I asked the lady if I had to wear the mask, and after everyone was gone, she said it was okay so I took it off. Somehow we got into a conversation on the whole cootie virus itself. She said she didn’t really believe it was a thing, but rather a front for the elites to shut down the economy and reduce the population.

I more or less agreed with her, I didn’t think it was for the stated purpose either, and I thought it had more to do with shutting down the economy to make everyone poor so the banksters could buy up all the real and hard assets for pennies on the dollar once everyone was destitute and bankrupt, then switch everything off the US dollar as the world foreign reserve currency in order to transition to a new digital currency- and thus disguise the true nature of how they had already ruined the monetary system and the economy through fractional reserve banking. And, of course, they definitely wanted to control everyone and institute mandatory vaccines and tracking on their slaves, which is all of us.

I asked the lady how I could get across the way to Bakarica, the next town over. She asked me how I was going, and I said by foot, but I pointed to my heavy load. She said “Oh, ok, so it’ll be easy then”. Does every woman in the world think that hiking with thirty kilograms is easy? They must.

She advised me to walk along the train tracks instead of climbing the hill to get on the highway. I thanked her, then walked outside. I took a seat on a bench at the marina, and ate my wheat bread, cheese, salami (which they call kulen in Croatia), and a can of beans. I know, it’s not exciting, but it did the trick.

Considering that you can’t really refrigerate food and that you also won’t want to be stocking up on several days worth of groceries as it will make your travel by foot that much more difficult, your food choices can present a challenge, I’ve found. What I like to do is look at the ratio of protein to fat on the items I purchase, which is also a basic diet strategy I follow most of the time even when I’m not hiking around and living off-grid.

In my opinion, an ideal protein to fat ratio is 2 to 1 or higher. For instance, when I eat, my goal is to have the amount of protein to be 2 times greater than the amount of fat I eat. This has been one of my dietary secrets that has kept me from getting overweight throughout my life.

In a can of tuna with oil, I can often get 22 grams of protein for every 8 grams of fat, which is nearly 3 to 1 in terms of protein to fat. Cheese and meat are where you have to pay special attention. Lean meats like ham will often have a high protein to fat ratio while salami and pepperoni can be quite fatty and even contain more fat than protein, as will cheese.

But, since you’re going for the overall protein to fat ratio when considering everything you eat, it’s often ok to eat a can of beans which is usually low fat and high protein, wheat bread, some yogurt, and then some meat and cheese- again, so long as you’re eating more protein than fat. Anytime you’re eating more fat than protein, in my view, you’re risking weight gain and likely to feel unsatisfied after meals.

Another thing I do is try to eat 2 or 3 fruits or vegetables a day. This is where you get a lot of your vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Eating a green salad with some yogurt and some cherry tomatoes is a great way to get vitamin C as well as important anti-oxidants. Also, I try to take a basic multi-vitamin every day too in order to fill in the blanks regarding all the things my body needs which I may not be getting enough of on a daily basis through food. It’s worked for me so far.

After eating, I set out along the train tracks behind the train loading station which looked abandoned, and walked for about a mile along the tracks.

I started thinking: maybe I’d just find a place to camp near the train facility, but right when I came around the edge of a building, there was someone sitting in a car. “Ok, definitely won’t be pitching a tent there”, I thought. I kept going and eventually came to a road leading over a fairly steep hill with a few trails going down from the paved road. I figured I’d walk down there and see if any places would work for me to set up camp.

By this point it was starting to get dark and I also heard thunder and saw lightning in the distance. I brushed it off and didn’t think it would be much of an issue. That turned out to be a big mistake.

I had just started to set my things down under a tree canopy on what was probably the best hope for a campsite that night when the rain started. A few drops fell, followed by millions, maybe even billions or trillions, and then the raindrops turned into buckets of water. I started to get drenched as I frantically attempted to cover my rucksack and my backpack with my rain poncho, because I knew that I needed to protect my computer and electronic gear at all costs.

My tent skeleton, or tent cage, was still flat with the poles laying down and the tent cover was laying next to it. The lightning and thunder became incredibly loud and close in proximity, then the wind picked up violently. Everything was getting soaked badly. Then, massive gusts of wind started to pummel the hillside.

I got down on all fours and hugged my rucksack and backpack under the rain poncho. I was laying there face-down on top of my gear, clenching it when the wind burst directly at the hill in such force that I honestly thought it was going to pick my ass up and throw me 15 yards in the air up the hill. At this point, the rain was unrelenting and cold, and the wind was so powerful that I was honestly scared.

To make it all worse, what I realized is that when you’re caught in a torrential downfall, matched with extreme gusts of wind, lightning and thunder directly on top of you, it really messes with your head because not only is it extremely uncomfortable- you have no idea when it’s going to end.

The worst part of it lasted for about two minutes, which felt like an eternity. Finally, the unwelcome tempest let up with the wind first. The rain was still coming down but it had decreased in severity too, and I felt a glimmer of hope. Since the wind had died down enough to not blow the rain cover off of my equipment, I retreated about 20 yards down a trail off to the side to huddle beneath some tree branches. The rain was still hitting me but now, a little less. This lasted for about 30 minutes more, so I took turns disrobing completely and wringing out my clothes, putting them back on, then repeating the process once more just to feel like I wasn’t draped in soggy clothes. Well, there was my free shower/bath for the evening. Once again, nature provides.

About an hour later the rain had stopped completely, so I went back to where my unmade tent was along with my gear to take inventory of everything. My computer was dry so that was good. A lot of the clothes in my bag had managed to remain dry, but some had gotten wet. I wrung out everything the best I could and assembled my tent with just the cage, no canopy, as it was soaking wet so there was really no point.

I walked down the side of the steep hill along a path which took me to some rocks near the sea where I sat and ate some more of the food I had bought at the market earlier. Then, I rolled a spliff and noticed a couple of guys about 60 yards from me in a boat fishing. They smelled me smoking and I heard one of them say to the other “Trav” which means grass. Yep, they knew. But fortunately they didn’t call the water police or anyone on me.

Seems like lots of people in this country were grumpy, since at the previous beach some guy had complained that he wasn’t catching big fish because of people swimming, right after I got out of the water when I had finished swimming and congratulated him on catching a fish.

I finished my spliff and walked back up the hill, slipping and almost losing my footing halfway up on the muddy path, then crawled into my wet tent and laid down for a few hours of sleep. I was still quite close to the road, and paranoia from passing cars, lights, and voices worried me once more that I would be detected, so I didn’t rest well.

Fortunately, I wasn’t detected and I packed up early in the morning at around 7 am and headed into the next town for breakfast.

Just Go Man: Hiking and Wild Camping in a Foreign Land During the Worldwide "Pandemic"
Available on Amazon.com in Paperback and Kindle